Dating is hard. It’s been made even more difficult with the amount of technology we rely on to find that “perfect person.” This is especially true with the more mainstream sites out there for dating and relationships. Ask any of your single friends and they’ll probably have some story about ghosting.
What Is Ghosting, Exactly?
Think about what a ghost is, and you’ll probably get it. Someone who is “ghosting” you is disappearing. They’re not answering your calls, your texts, or your knock on the door. They’re essentially there one day and gone the next, hoping you will “take the hint” and not force them to tell you they want you to bugger off.
So, if you’re dating someone and they just leave you hanging by a string, with absolutely no explanation, you’ve been ghosted. It doesn’t feel nice and can be a real blow to your confidence. Hell, it is heartbreaking! Don’t worry, though, you are not alone. Ghosting happens A LOT, and if has happened to you, you’re not alone.
So, What Can I Do To Not Be A Victim of Ghosting?
There are ways to avoid ghosting. If you follow these guidelines, you will increase your chances of avoiding the heartbreak and misery that ghosting produces.
• Get your emotions under control-Catching feelings is a great way to get hurt, especially when you are getting involved in a casual relationship. Check those feelings at the door and you’ll save yourself a lot of heartaches.
• Don’t go “there” with all the questions-Don’t start out by asking so many nosy questions. You know the ones, the “Are we exclusively dating?”, and the “Are we in a relationship?” questions. You get clingy and the other person is gone!
• Don’t get personal-If you’re meeting family, it’s too personal. Once you start introducing each other to family, you’re making it awkward or you’re going to end up getting married.
• Use adult/casual sites only-Fling sites give you less of a chance of being ghosted as long as you go in with the mindset that this is just a fling and no emotions should be involved. When you venture onto mainstream sites looking for some NSA action, you risk getting feelings and emotions involved and major confusion.
• One and done-Avoid meeting up for more than one sexual encounter. Once you start meeting multiple times, it ventures into questionable status. Do the one-night-stand thing and save yourself the trouble.
• NO EMOTIONS!-Avoid letting in any type of emotions whatsoever. If you are feeling that familiar stirring, keep it to your pretty little self. Once you bring strings into the NSA relationship, you’re really working on getting yourself ghosted.
Being hurt sucks. I don’t care who you are, nobody likes to feel rejected, especially when you don’t even know why! Ghosting is hurtful but can be avoided if you follow my advice. And, if you do happen to be a victim of ghosting, take some solace in the fact that you’re not being catfished! Not sure what that means? Check out this link to find out more.